Monday, March 16, 2009

Accidents will happen more than they ever have in the past...

Text messaging has obviously been a huge asset to our society recently. It is becoming more and more popular for not just teenagers, but for adults as well. A major problem that has approached recently, has been whether or not text messaging should be illegal while driving or not. Some local areas have decided to put this law in full affect. Texting while driving has become more dangerous than ever because of the most recent cell phones that have come out. These newer cell phones have small keyboards which require the use of two hands. One can only imagine how much more dangerous this can be. Accidents are more likely to happen now than ever before because of what technology has done to cell phones; almost making them as hand-held computers. So should the law of not being able to text and drive go into affect for all cities, regions, or even the entire country...

4 comments:

  1. I feel that messaging while driving is a bad idea for any driver or rider on the road. As a regular motorcycle rider the driver that is messaging while driving has become a danger to anyone. I have read many stories of motorcycle riders being struck by teens that were texting. The most common excuse for why the wreck has happened was, "I never saw the rider." I feel that this excuse is not even remorseful. The drivers that are texting and cause an accident should have a stiffer punishment. I for one have almost been driven off the road by someone that was messaging while driving, the bad thing was is that the mom did not even notice that I had been pushed off the road. She just kept going on her way. This action is dangerous for people of all ages whether you are causing it or the one being affected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I think more accidents will be happened if the text messaging is not prohibited during the driving by law. In Korea, not only text messaging, but also speaking over the cell phone without Bluetooth or headset is illegal. There were lots of criticisms about that low when government tried to establish the law but it became calm soon. Because a government agency showed the people text messaging and speaking over the cell phone without Bluetooth or headset is as dangerous as drunken driving through the lots of survey. I know the law in the America is different according to the state but I think it must be established to reduce future accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More accidents happening recently can be credited with text messaging for sure. I can say I do it sometimes and it is probably not the smartest thing because i have a blackberry touch screen phone and sometimes its hard to text when your just sitting there. Driving can make it a lot harder and I can see how people do get in accidents using phones and texting while driving. It is very dangerous and I think that texting while driving has a direct effect with more car accidents happening all over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you brought up a good point of how the new smart-phones, such as blackberry and touch screen phones. I used to own a flip phone Motorola, which I could drive and text at the same time using one hand. My new touch screen smart phone requires two hands to type. It also requires looking before typing letters. Both of these traits have caused me to stop texting while driving entirely. I think there should be a nationwide law against texting and driving, regardless of the ease of texting. I find it safer, faster, and more efficient to talk on a cell phone while driving anyways.

    ReplyDelete